Wednesday, April 10, 2013

40 Days and Nights Without Facebook


 By:Stephanie Wertz
Oak Staff

I gave up Facebook for 40 days. I didn’t think it would be that hard until I began to feel left out of the loop from my family and friends. With this feeling of emptiness I switched to a new form of social media, Instagram. 

To begin with, I was never really actively involved with Facebook, I rarely posted statuses and pictures. I was only on there to past the time or catch up with an old friend from back home. However, before temporarily turning off Facebook, I was on the popular network everyday at least three times a day. 

I wasn’t obsessed with Facebook. I just became accustomed to going on it in between classes, when I was alone or checking up on group messages and upcoming events. Either way, I was on it quite often and not being able to go on the social media device at first was extremely hard.

I deactivated my account. I hid my Facebook App on my iPhone just so I wouldn’t see it and give into the temptation. The first couple of days were hard. Like I mentioned before I had this routine down, and without it I was more observant of what was around me. In a way it made me realize how much I had missed when I was looking down at my phone all the time. I was friendlier in person than I was in the virtual world, literally. 

People came up to me and or texted to me and asked why I didn’t have a Facebook, I explained and they really didn’t like the reason. I had ruined their “tags” and mentions on posts. People even questioned if my boyfriend and I were still together because my Facebook was gone; as we all know Facebook “officially” determines the status of ones relationship.

There was another thing I realized. People knew about my business and life from Facebook because of my posts and pictures. During my deactivation, I didn’t seem to mind the privacy of my life. However, there was a downfall to this when it came to the life of my friends. I wasn’t aware of the parties and people’s birthdays. I did feel bad when I forgot my friends birthday, but again I should have remembered it regardless, I shouldn’t rely on Facebook so much.  

Facebook, and the technology around us makes so much more reliant on them. Ever since I got my iPhone I feel like I have become an even worse speller than before. As I am typing right now I am automatically assuming my MacBook Pro will autocorrect for me. It doesn’t. I have to actually go back and edit it. But, that’s another story to talk about.

As the days wore on, my challenge felt easier and easier, but that’s because I was hooked on another form of social media, Instagram. Sure, it may seem that I was cheating but I really wasn’t! I was on Instagram and I was able to still be connected with my friends and family which made things a little bit better. Actually, It was a lot better because I became obsessed with Instagram. I started digging deep with the app and I was following all sorts of artists and celebrities, friends of friends just so I could have a variety of people to follow and entertain me. 

Instagram was and still is my go to app ever since I substituted it for Facebook. Now that I was off Facebook for so long, I hardly care to go on it now. I actually started deleting people that I really never talked to. Even today, I started unfollwing pointless people on Instagram. The world of social media has become overboard and people abuse the networks. That’s why I avoid Twitter, there are too many pointless comments and hash tags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment